no, you will never guess. stop me if you have heard this one before...
I went to a castle today! innit that coo...what? you have already heard about me going to a castle? two castles? wait a minute...I have been to three castles and a couple palaces?
hmmm...
ok, but this castle was different. I swear!
it was Windsor Castle! not only is it huge (and by huge, I mean ten times the size of any of the other castles I have seen), but it is the Queen's favorite castle. she was even there this morning! I totally almost (but not really) had the chance to see her!

look at how big it is!! (I took this photo from the internet. please don't think I had access to an airplane just for a picture)
but apparently blogger is being dumb and none of my own photos will upload on tripto. so, you just get to know that it was pretty cool.
although, no moat...or hedge maze. can it really still be called a castle? it must be something. there was actually security here! yeah, like metal detectors and x ray machines for the bags (so the queen must have been there). security is amazingly lax over here. I would be able to get on a train to anywhere without a ticket - there is no one to check them. and bags of all sizes are allowed on the tube and the trains, without being checked. fun.
my roomie Jennifer and I had a lot of fun on our way to the castle. the first tube we were on got delayed (aka we were stuck in a tunnel) for about five minutes because a passenger 6 stops ahead had 'taken ill.' I still don't know what happened, but it is just another in a string of underground mishaps. two trains have derailed since I have been here, this weekend an entire line of the underground was closed following a derailment, and my home station had a lift out of order - one of two I have to use if I dont want to take the stairs up 15 floors! for being such a major metropolitan city, London's subway system is falling apart. there are a couple pretty nice stations and a couple pretty nice trains, but there is going to need to be some major overhauling if they want to be ready for the olympics in 2012. what is more is that sometimes they close down certain lines for routine maintenance. this should not happen. the trains don't even run from midnight to 6am. again...why isnt this a 24 hour city?
eh, why start complaining about a city I am leaving in a day. London has been great, and I am really excited that I got to see it, and be here for an extended amount of time.
after Windsor Castle, I headed up to Regents Park. it is supposed to have amazing roses this time of year, but I didn't see them. after talking to my friend Chelsey, I found out I just didnt walk far enough into the park. so maybe I will try again tomorrow after the tower of london (!)
I left the park after I started to get homesick and it got chilly out. the change of pace in ireland will be good for me. it is amazing to think that my trip will be half over on wednesday. sometimes it seems like I just got here, and sometimes I feel like I have been here forever! depends on my mood at the time I guess.
worst of all, I still have to figure out some way to pack everything I have bought! eek!
2 comments:
Do they have Federal Express or any other way to fly your purchases home? Money? Don't worry - I am sure that Mummy and Daddykins would be glad to send money to pay for the shipment and get your wonderful stuff back to the States!!
now that's a castle! It looks like someplace that a queen should live. i guess that extra pocket in your suitcase isn't looking too big now, huh? oh well, it was a nice try at planning ahead anyway. And you only have three more weeks and two more countries of stuff to work into your luggage. Sigh, the problems of international travel....
Post a Comment